One of the most frequently performed cosmetic procedures, breast augmentation surgery enhances the shape, size, or fullness of the breast. Different types of implants may be used, and the surgery may be an option for patients that want to change something about the appearance of their breasts.
A Closer Look at the Surgery
Breast augmentation surgery involves inserting an implant into either the submuscular or sub-glandular area of the breast. The procedure may be performed to enhance breast fullness, increase size, or correct some level of undesirable asymmetry or change in breast size and shape.
The types of breast augmentation include:
- Augmentation with silicone breast implants – Prefilled implants that offer a semi-solid structure; similar to a natural breast
- Augmentation with saline breast implants – Inserted empty and filled with a saline solution to the predetermined size preferred by the patient
Breast Augmentation Surgery – What to Expect
Before surgery, your surgeon will discuss several points with you about what to expect. You will learn how long the procedure is likely to take and what recovery will involve once the surgery is complete. Breast augmentation is performed in a controlled hospital setting and under general anesthesia soon you remain comfortable.
In general terms, the steps of the procedure will look something as follows:
- You will be put under anesthesia
- The surgeon will make an incision in the breast tissue
- The chosen implant will be inserted and properly positioned
- The incision will be sutured closed
The steps in the process vary according to the type of implant you are getting. During recovery, you may have to wear compression garments to minimize swelling, and it will be important to follow the doctor’s advice about getting rest, managing pain, and avoiding physical activity.
Schedule a Consultation for Breast Augmentation Surgery
Whether you are simply looking for fuller breasts that are a size or two larger, or you want to correct something about your breasts, breast augmentation surgery may be an option. If you feel that you would be a good candidate for breast augmentation, reach out to the office of Dr. Plank to schedule a consultation today at 407-960-6936.
Check us out on Instagram!